This project is read-only.

repcached + memcached + memcached Providers - dbbackup = redundant solution?

May 20, 2009 at 12:34 AM
Edited May 20, 2009 at 12:46 AM

Hi,

I've been tasked to find a cheap solution to distribute session handling within a .net 3.5 application across multiple barebone IIS servers. It seems that most of what is offered for free (excluding NCache, i need more than 2 servers.. and their support for 3.5 isn't quite clear) doesn't provide a session management solution that is redundant (or fully implemented)...

So from my last 3 hours of research i am still unclear how some of these solutions work; Its a simple concept nonetheless on the IIS side, however going to implement something like repcached. memcached and the memcached providers seems to raise a lot of questions...

1. Can i use repcached+memcached with the memcached providers?

2. if yes, does this solution provide a redundant method to distribute the sessions among multiple memcached servers? Is there any additional configuration i need to do other than list the multiple memcached servers in the config?

3. If no, please explain why; this is where i am having dificulty understanding the over all setup and how these providers work.

4. either way, is there code changes required in my application by using the memcached providers?

I think i am on the right track, but we'll see. Appreciate any help on this :)

thanks a lot

May 20, 2009 at 3:35 PM

Hi,
I have not tested memcached providers with repcached. Given the interface protocol is the same, it should work fine. Please consult repcached configuration. Just so you know
at this time repcached will work only on Linux. Its not available on windows.

As for configuring multiple memcached servers please take a look at the Using Memcached Session Provider 1.2 document in the release.
There is no limit on how many servers that can be configured. And memcached providers can be used without the db backup.

As for just using "Memcached Session State Provider" you don't need any code change. Just have to update the web.config according to the Using Memcached Session Provider 1.2  document.

Hope this helps.
- Fahad

May 21, 2009 at 12:28 AM

fahadaz, thanks for the prompt reply. Really appreciate it.

Your answer is exactly what I was looking for. Pardon me for being a newb, but thanks for helping me understand quite a bit more about memcached/session provider 1.2

The whole purpose to utilizing repcached would be to avoid sessions from being terminated at any time due to a server crash, maintenance, etc. From my understanding this is not possible using memcached alone (even with multiple servers). The application I am working with requires 24/7 access (and I don't say this lightly, it is truly required), so there is a lot of funding for redundancy behind the project. However the developers didn't clue into the whole scalability thing; they assumed the app would run on one server for its life span. So in turn, the entire project is at risk because they missed this dependency. (could have been easily resolved during the development by using alternative session management methods right in the code. Don't even get me started on the fights I waged fighting for Apache v.s. IIS...) So now to avoid ballooning the budget further, I am looking for a temporary bandaid to resolve the issue until we can deal with the budget red tape to purchase a commercial solution.

So, as you can tell, I am at a critical turning point. I think it will be in my best interest to test the memcached session provider 1.2 with repcached/memcached. From what i've researched this shouldn't be a problem because (as you stated) repcached doesn't change the way memcached communicates, its soley integrates sub-server communication.

I'll post my findings in the next few days.

Thanks again!

Jun 4, 2009 at 6:51 AM

Sorry to disturb ur dicussion..but can u plz tell me the basic steps how to implement MemCache in .net 2.0...its very urgent...

i am nt able to understand to access Memcache server is need to installl clientlib or CacheProvide...

i had referred Code plex article http://www.codeproject.com/KB/aspnet/memcached_aspnet.aspx?display=PrintAll&fid=443119&df=90&mpp=25&noise=3&sort=Position&view=Quick&select=2367425..

it seems to confusing fr me...plz do help me...